Thursday, January 29, 2009

Words Can Hurt & Words Can Heal

The tears streamed down her face, as she sat silently, with her hand on her heart, wearing a red hat. She was among nine ladies that recently visited Islamic Center of Boise and call themselves “Red Hat Ladies”.

She wasn’t listening to a Pledge of Allegiance; she was listening to the English translation of few verses from the Holy Quran, the Islamic holy book. She wasn’t being proselytized either. The verses were being read to the group in response to one of their questions: “What do Muslims think of Mary, mother of Jesus Christ?”

The response to her question came directly from the Holy Quran and in particular from the nineteenth chapter, called “Mary”:

“Relate in the Book, the story of Mary. How she withdrew from her family to a place in East.” (19:9)

“She hid herself from them. Then God sent to her, His angel, and he appeared before her as a man in all respects.” (19:10)

“She said: I seek God’s protection from you, God, Who is Most Gracious. Do not come near me if you fear God.” (19:11)

“The angel said: I am only a messenger from your Lord and have come to announce to you the gift of a holy son.” (19:12)

“She said: How shall I have a son when no man has ever touched me and I am a not an unchaste woman.” (19:13)

“The angel said: Your Lord has decided on the matter and it is easy for Him. He wishes to appoint him as a sign unto men and a mercy from Him. It is a matter that has been decreed.” (19:14)

“So she conceived him and she retired herself with the baby to a remote place.” (19:15)

The reader paused to see if anyone had questions. Some guests seemed a bit confused. One couldn’t take the suspense and said, “What happened next?”

The host at the Center explained that when Mary brought the baby Jesus to town, everyone was suspicious of her. They started to question how can someone like Mary, who belonged to a noble lineage, could have a child out of wedlock?

Mary pointed to the baby Jesus and stunned them all, when the baby spoke from the cradle:

“I am indeed a servant of God. He has given me revelation and made me a prophet.” (19:30)

“And He has blessed me wherever I may be. He has enjoined on me prayer and charity for as long as I live.” (19:31)

“He has made me kind to my mother and not overbearing or a misery.” (19:32)

“So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day I shall be brought back to life again.” (19:33)

There was an absolute pin drop silence in the room. The tears were flowing again. This time there were more than one set of eyes that were shedding them.

“How could we hate each other?” one lady asked. “Because we don’t listen to what God is saying!” another one responded. Another commented, “I never knew how close both of our faiths (Islam & Christianity) were?” The conversation continued for another hour. The atmosphere had totally changed; suddenly there was lot more in common, beliefs, lives, aspirations and concerns.

And I thought only in America can this happen.

Definitely words have a power to heal. But they have to be used appropriately and wisely. God’s words did absolutely that at the Islamic Center, that particular day.

However, if we have to exist like brothers and sisters, we have to do more than the words. The time to take action has come. We can’t be true believers as long as our hearts are burdened by doubts and fears about the others. Before we can tear down these walls, we must recognize the builder of these obstacles: the Satan, our common enemy.

Right now, Satan has convinced us otherwise. He has us deceived that we are each other’s enemies. Here’s a New Year resolution: Let’s kick the bad habit this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment